On Friday I was sent a hamper from the lovely people at Barber1833, it was a wonderful hamper, packed with everything needed to make up about 3 recipes from the recipe book, I made 2 of them over the weekend, first being the Roast stuffed Portobella mushrooms, I served these with a poached egg on a bed of wilted spinach. I also made the cheese and spinach souffle which I didn’t quite get right ( first attempt at souffle’s)
So back to the mushrooms using the beautiful Barbers1833 cheese, even my son kept popping in the kitchen to pinch a little, shows how nice it is if he does that.
- 4 Large portobella mushrooms
- 2 tbsp of rapeseed oil ( I used Olive Oil)
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic glove finely chopped
- 100grams of Barbers 1833 Vintage reserve Cheddar grated
- 100grams of breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp freshly chopped tarragon ( I used dried)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 large fresh eggs
- a packet of spinach wilted ready
- Pre heat oven gas mark 6
- Remove and chop the stalks from the mushrooms
- place the mushrooms into a baking dish and add 2cms water
- cover with foil and bake for 10 mins
- in a frying pan, heat the oil and add the onion and garlic
- fry gently for 10 mins then add the chopped mushroom stalks, continue to cook for a further 5 mins
- in a bowl add the cheese, breadcrumbs, tarragon and S&P to season
- Mix the cooled contents of the frying pan with your dry ingredients
- Place the mix onto the mushrooms, pressing firmly
- drizzle with a little oil and bake until golden.
- Poach an egg
serve on a bed of wilted spinach with the egg on top
A lovely but different starter or even breakfast as we had.
Have a look at the YouTube channel
The YouTube channel has many videos with recipes using the beautiful cheese including the souffle, I didn’t fill my dish enough for it to rise properly but still tasted beautiful, have a look at the videos and the website for further details.
Disclaimer: I was sent the hamper for the purpose of reviewing the cheese, no payment was received and all words, images and opinions are my own