I’m Sorry I know its only August and I have said the ‘C’ word but seriously this post needs to be done if you guys want to also make them as you need to ‘water’ them weekly and by water I mean add a little of your chosen alcohol to keep them moist and flavoursome.
I have always made these as big cakes as did my Auntie for years, so this year I thought I would make a few mini ones also. (large I mean 7″ round and also loaf tin).
Now you do not have to be very precise with these but be close
- 30 oz’s of dried mixed fruits
- 4 oz’s of cherries and mixed peel
- 3 oz’s of blanched Almonds ( I don’t include these)
- 12 oz’s of plain flour
- 10 ozs of Soft brown Sugar
- pinch of salt
- selection of spices ( I use cinnamon, nutmeg and mixed, usually about 4 teaspoons mainly mixed)
- 10 oz’s butter
- 5 large eggs
- teaspoon of coffee mixed with a little hot water and then brandy or whiskey (amount is personal taste again, I use about 4 tblsp)
Prepare your chosen tin/s and put your oven on gas mark 1
- Cream butter and sugar
- Add a little of the flour
- Add a little fruit and mix
- Add small amount of eggs
- continue to do this until all mixed
- Mix in Spices and salt
- Finally add the coffee and brandy mix.
Empty into your chosen tin, for large cakes it’s recommend you leave to cook overnight on Gas Mark 1 for these minis I checked after an hr then every 15 until ready.
Its not a fancy recipe and no need to fluff it up either, the hardest bit is mixing it all, always use a large bowl and wooden spoon, enjoy and don’t forget to ‘water’ every week, the alcohol is very important
Linking with Boy and Me as ever on a Sunday, I may have a cake next week but not the week after due to 2 reasons, my Kitchen is being decorated, new flooring and cupboards and then week after we are to London to watch the Paralympics