What does Autism mean to you?
What dealings with Autism have you had?
Do you understand Autism?
- A mental condition, present from early childhood, characterized by great difficulty in communicating and forming relationships, and in…
- A mental condition in which fantasy dominates over reality, as a symptom of schizophrenia and other disorders.
I will attempt to tell you what Autism means to me from a Mums point of view, how we deal with it and what we see from others.
My little man is on the spectrum, he is classified as HFA (High Functioning Autism) why is this? Well he walks, he talks and is now learning how to socialize, he is now 8, at the age3 we had never heard the words Mummy, daddy or I love you, we never had a cuddle without asking for one and explaining what they were for.
Every thing we do has to be explained in great detail, what where how when, if we miss a detail we risk meltdown or as he now says Angry time, he cant explain why he gets Angry time, he cant explain the split second he can run across a room and just thump you or kick you, then walk away like nothing has happened.
I recently videoed him having a ‘meltdown’ and showed him the next day, he response was nothing I would have dream’t he was so upset and didn’t remember it. The doctor explained that his brain shuts down because they don’t understand, which then stops them remembering such incidents.
We have trips to the supermarket, occasionally we can get round these days without and issue but most times we have at least one meltdown, we have tried so many tactics.
- I want people to Learn that not all children sat all the floor thrashing about and shouting are spoilt
- That the same children are not naughty
- To stop presuming that the parents cant cope
- These children just cant cope, its called sensory overload, noise, people the environment, all major factors
If people take that into consideration and explain to others who are stood judging, tuting or just making some comment, then we can all help each other in a minor way to EDUCATE others and the future generations.
I describe my son as A Mac computer compared to me a windows computer, We do the same things just our main components works differently.
A Quote From daughter after sharing an image on Facebook today
People think they are different there not, there normal people with different behavior and attitudes! And don’t give you an easy time!
I have probably forgotten so much of what I need to say so please forgive, I find it so difficult to write it down, I always try to show the good things and happy side of my son.;